Easy Steps You Can Take For Fire Safety At Home
June 07, 2018
Fire safety begins at home.Every family should know the basics of how to prevent fires at home and what to do in case there is a fire.The most effective way to protect yourself and your home from the fires to identify and remove fire hazards. 60% of house fire deaths occur in homes with no working smoke alarms. During a home fire, working and monitored smoke alarms, and a fire escape plan that has been practised regularly can save lives. In this article, we have compiled some fire safety tips you can take on to reduce the risks in the Home.
- Avoid loose long sleeves when cooking.
- Check kettles and toasters for damaged electrical cords.
- Keep a timer handy to remind you when the oven and burners should be switched off.
- Never leave your cooking unattended.
- Use appropriate cooking appliances and keep them clean.
- Keep a pot cover nearby to “put a lid on it” in the event of a fire.
- Fireplace: always use a fire screen, ensuring it is the appropriate size for the fireplace opening.
- Do not use extension cords in the place of additional outlets.
- Smokers should check furniture for fallen cigarettes, which can smoulder undetected for an hour before bursting into flames.
- Ensure careful use of smoking materials and extinguish in water before disposal.
- Never leave cigarettes in an ashtray unattended.
- Use ashtrays with a double rim and deep centre.
- Keep matches, lighters and lit candles out of the reach of children.
- Never leave lit candles unattended.
- Install at least one smoke alarm outside each sleeping area. For improved safety, install a smoke alarm in every bedroom.
- Check electrical appliances regularly in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions: electric blankets, heating pads, radios, televisions, irons.
- Bedrooms should be non-smoking areas.
- Remove all combustible and flammable materials from the basement
- Do not store gasoline in basements! Store gasoline in well-ventilated areas, preferably outdoors.
- Use only approved containers to store and transport gasoline.
- Chimneys should be cleaned at least once a year.
If you are looking for a 24×7 monitored fire detector feel free to give a call on +91 755 4926677 for free telephonic assistance. Our security experts will be happy to guide you for best smoke sensors.